Requirements for the B.S. in Geography
The B.S. in Geography degree requires 31 credits in 2000-level or higher geography courses and 12 credits of related course work taken in other departments. Geography B.S. majors complete a basic core of courses before beginning advanced work.
Suggested Courses Prior to the B.S. major:
- GEOG 1000 – Introduction to Geography
- GEOG 1070 – Global Change and Natural Disasters
- GEOG 1300 – Climate, Weather,and the Environment
- GEOG 1302 – GIS Modeling of Environmental Change
- STAT 1000 or STAT 1100 or equivalent
Geography B.S. Major Requirements:
B.S. majors complete a basic core of six courses:
- GEOG 2100 – Economic Geography
- GEOG 2300 – Introduction to Physical Geography
- GEOG 2500 – Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
- GEOG 2505 – Applications of Geographic Information Systems
- GEOG 3500Q – Geographic Data Analysis
- GEOG 3510 – Cartographic Techniques
B.S. majors must take 9 additional credits in Geography, including at least one “methods” course and one “W” course, in consultation with their departmental advisor.
- Methods courses: GEOG 2510 – Visualizing Geographic Data or GEOG 3110 – Locational Analysis or GEOG 3300 – Principles and Applications of Physical Geography or GEOG 3505 – Remote Sensing of Marine Geography or GEOG 4520 – Selected Topics in GIS
- The writing in the major requirement for Geography can be met by passing any of the following geography courses: GEOG 3320W, GEOG 3330W, GEOG 4110W, or GEOG 4200W
- The information literacy requirement in Geography can be met by passing any of the following geography courses GEOG 3320W, GEOG 3330W, GEOG 4110W, or GEOG 4200W
- The computer technology exit requirement in Geography can be met by passing one of the following courses: GEOG 2500, GEOG 2510, GEOG 3110, GEOG 3300, GEOG 3500Q, or GEOG 3510
An internship program provides seniors an opportunity to apply their geographic training in state and local government and in private industry and may be included as part of any qualified undergraduate’s major program.