Requirements for the B.A. in Geography
The B.A. in Geography degree requires 24 credits in 2000-level or above geography courses and 12 credits of related course work taken in other departments. Geography B.A. majors complete a basic core of courses before beginning advanced work in their special areas of interest.
Suggested Courses Prior to the B.A. major:
- GEOG 1000 - Introduction to Geography
- GEOG 1200 - The City in the Western Tradition
- GEOG 1300 - Climate, Weather,and the Environment
- GEOG 1302 - GIS Modeling of Environmental Change
- GEOG 1700 - World Regional Geography
- STAT 1000 or STAT 1100 or equivalent
Geography B.A. Major Requirements:
B.A. majors complete a basic core of three courses:
- GEOG 2100 - Economic Geography or GEOG 2200 - Introduction to Human Geography
- GEOG 2300 - Introduction to Physical Geography
- one methods course (choice of GEOG 2500 - Introduction to Geographic Information Systems or GEOG 2510 - Visualizing Geographic Data or GEOG 3110 - Locational Analysis or GEOG 3500Q - Geographic Data Analysis or GEOG 3510 - Cartographic Techniques
B.A. majors must take 15 additional credits at the 2000-level or above in Geography, including at least one “W” course, in consultation with their departmental advisor.
- The writing in the major requirement for Geography can be met by passing any of the following courses: GEOG 3320W, GEOG 3330W, GEOG 4110W, or GEOG 4200W
- The information literacy requirement in Geography can be met by passing any of the following courses GEOG 3320W, GEOG 3330W, GEOG 4110W, or GEOG 4200W
- The computer technology exit requirement in Geography can be met by passing one of the following courses: GEOG 2500, GEOG 2510, GEOG 3110, GEOG 3300, GEOG 3500Q, or GEOG 3510
Each student, in conjunction with a departmental advisor, has the flexibility to tailor a program to his or her individual objectives.