Notable Geography News
- Mark Boyer on Scholar’s Circle PodcastPosted on October 28, 2020
- Shamayeta Bhattacharya receives student presentation awardPosted on October 23, 2020
- Mark Boyer Op-Ed: The Climate Crisis Is Being DownplayedPosted on September 28, 2020
- Professor Anji Seth interviewed for InsideClimateNews articlePosted on July 1, 2020
- Fabian Terbeck successfully defends dissertationPosted on June 19, 2020
- This calendar has no events scheduled at this time.
Student Opportunities & Resources
Geography Curriculum Info
Major or Minor in Geographic Information Science
Courses being offered in the Spring 2021 semester which count towards the GISc major and minor include:
- Geog 2410: New Digital Worlds of GIS
- 2410 is a recommended prep course
- Geog 2500: Intro to GIS
- Geog 2505: Applications of GIS
- Geog 2510: Visualizing Geographic Data
- Geog 3500Q: Geographic Data Analysis
- Geog 3512: Introduction to Spatial Data Science
- Geog 4230: GIS & Remote Sensing for Geoscience Applications
- Geog 4518: Mobile GIS
- Geog 4519: Spatial Big Data Analytics
Recent Graduate Student Publications
Barocci, Antonio. Political arrests of women under fascism: gender and the special tribunal in Italy 1926–1928. GeoJournal.
Adams, A., Li, W., Zhang, C., & Chen, X. The disguised pandemic: the importance of data normalization in COVID-19 web mapping. Public Health.
Terbeck, Fabian. Defining Suburbs: An Evaluation and Comparison of Four Methods. The Professional Geographer.
Zhai, Ruiting, Weidong Li, Chuanrong Zhang, Weixing Zhang, and Wenjie Wang. The transiogram as a graphic metric for characterizing the spatial patterns of landscapes. Landscape Ecology.
Wang, Hui, Scott Stephenson, and Shijin Qu. Modeling spatially non-stationary land use/cover change in the lower Connecticut River Basin by combining geographically weighted logistic regression and the CA-Markov model. International Journal of Geographical Information Science.
Oculi, Neil and Scott Stephenson. Conceptualizing climate vulnerability: understanding the negotiating strategies of Small Island Developing States. Environmental Science & Policy.
Zhang, Weixing, Weidong Li, Chuanrong Zhang, and William B. Ouimet. Detecting urban horizontal and vertical growths from medium resolution imagery and their relationships with major socioeconomic factors. International Journal of Remote Sensing.
Conner Dickes, class of 2018, is a Planner/GIS Analyst at Milone & MacBroom.
Caroline Mazo, class of 2018, is a .
Tara Schwenzfeier, class of 2018, is a GIS Analyst at ForeFlight, a Boeing company.
Nick Lacafta, class of 2016, is a Technical Records Coordinator at the University of Connecticut.
Stefanie Walker, MA class of 2015, is a Senior Catastrophe Risk Consultant at Travelers Insurance.
Amy DellaGuistina, class of 2014, is an Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability Senior Associate at Amgen.
UConn Geography Alumni Award Recipients
2019: Todd Dumais, BA '03, Town Planner, City of West Hartford.
2018: Richard Annitto, BA '85, Vice President, GIS and Survey Division, LiRo Group
2017: Ben Spaulding, PhD '10, Catastrophe Risk Manager, Homesite Group
2016: Patrice Carson, BA '82, Consulting Director of Community Development, Town of Bolton
2015: Tyler Kleykamp, BA '00, Chief Data Officer, Connecticut State Office of Policy and Management