Notable Geography News
- Prof. Cooke: Why Amercians are staying put instead of moving.Posted on December 10, 2019
- Xueke Li successfully defends dissertationPosted on November 22, 2019
- Professor DasGupta to deliver lecture at Rutgers UniversityPosted on November 20, 2019
- Geography faculty and students speak at GIS Day 2019Posted on November 13, 2019
- Professor Seth on Climate Science Panel at Yale University WorkshopPosted on November 7, 2019
Student Opportunities & Resources
Geography Curriculum Info
Major or Minor in Geographic Information Science
Courses being offered in the Spring 2020 semester which count towards the GISc major and minor include:
- Geog 2410: New Digital Worlds of GIS
- 2410 is a recommended prep course
- Geog 2500: Intro to GIS
- Geog 2505: Applications of GIS
- Geog 2510: Visualizing Geographic Data
- Geog 3500: Geographic Data Analysis
- Geog 3512: Intro to Spatial Data Science
- Geog 4230: GIS & Remote Sensing for Geoscience Applications
- Geog 4518: Mobile GIS
Recent Graduate Student Publications
Li, Xueke, Chuanrong Zhang, Weidong Li, Richard Anyah and Jing Tian. Exploring the trend, prediction and driving forces of aerosols using satellite and ground data, and implications for climate change mitigation. Journal of Cleaner Production.
Wang, Hui, Scott Stephenson, and Shijin Qu. Modeling spatially non-stationary land use/cover change in the lower Connecticut River Basin by combining geographically weighted logistic regression and the CA-Markov model. International Journal of Geographical Information Science.
Oculi, Neil and Scott Stephenson. Conceptualizing climate vulnerability: understanding the negotiating strategies of Small Island Developing States. Environmental Science & Policy.
Zhang, Weixing, Weidong Li, Chuanrong Zhang, and William B. Ouimet. Detecting urban horizontal and vertical growths from medium resolution imagery and their relationships with major socioeconomic factors. International Journal of Remote Sensing.
Conner Dickes, class of 2018, is a Planner/GIS Analyst at Milone & MacBroom.
Caroline Mazo, class of 2018, is a .
Tara Schwenzfeier, class of 2018, is a GIS Analyst at ForeFlight, a Boeing company.
Nick Lacafta, class of 2016, is a Technical Records Coordinator at the University of Connecticut.
Stefanie Walker, MA class of 2015, is a Senior Catastrophe Risk Consultant at Travelers Insurance.
Amy DellaGuistina, class of 2014, is an Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability Senior Associate at Amgen.
Lanham Miller, class of 2009, is a School Counselor for the Tolland Board of Education.
UConn Geography Alumni Award Recipients
2019: Todd Dumais, BA '03, Town Planner, City of West Hartford.
2018: Richard Annitto, BA '85, Vice President, GIS and Survey Division, LiRo Group
2017: Ben Spaulding, PhD '10, Catastrophe Risk Manager, Homesite Group
2016: Patrice Carson, BA '82, Consulting Director of Community Development, Town of Bolton
2015: Tyler Kleykamp, BA '00, Chief Data Officer, Connecticut State Office of Policy and Management