Geography Curriculum Info
Major or Minor in Geographic Information Science
Courses being offered in the Fall 2022 semester which count towards the GISc major and minor include:
- Geog 2500: Intro to GIS
- Geog 2505: Applications of GIS
- Geog 3510: Cartographic Techniques
- Geog 3530: Intro to GeoComputing
- Geog 4516: Fundamentals of Spatial Database Systems
Graduate Seminar - Fall 2022
Notable Geography News
- Sungmin Jang successfully defends dissertationPosted on August 5, 2022
- Geography of Sustainable Development added to Fall 2022 calendarPosted on July 15, 2022
- Ji Won Suh successfully defends dissertationPosted on June 28, 2022
- CT Blue Heritage Trail launchedPosted on June 14, 2022
- Zhijie Zhang successfully defends dissertationPosted on May 20, 2022
- Shamayeta Bhattacharya successfully defends dissertationPosted on May 18, 2022
Recent Graduate Student Publications
BenBella, Diane & Ghosh, D. 2021. Combining Geospatial Analysis with HIV Care Continuum to Identify Differential HIV/AIDS Treatment Indicators in Uganda. The Professional Geographer.
Barocci, Antonio. 2020. Political arrests of women under fascism: gender and the special tribunal in Italy 1926–1928. GeoJournal.
Adams, Aaron., Li, W., Zhang, C., & Chen, X. 2020. The disguised pandemic: the importance of data normalization in COVID-19 web mapping. Public Health.
Terbeck, Fabian. 2020. Defining Suburbs: An Evaluation and Comparison of Four Methods. The Professional Geographer.
Other Outstanding Alumni
Caroline Mazo, class of 2018, is a .
Tara Schwenzfeier, class of 2018, is a GIS Analyst at ForeFlight, a Boeing company.
Nick Lacafta, class of 2016, is a Technical Records Coordinator at the University of Connecticut.
Stefanie Walker, MA class of 2015, is a Senior Catastrophe Risk Consultant at Travelers Insurance.
Amy DellaGuistina, class of 2014, is an Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability Senior Associate at Amgen.
UConn Geography Alumni Award Recipients
2022: Julie Annino, PhD '02, Senior Transportation Engineer, CT Dept of Transportation
2021: Patrick Heidkamp, MA '03, PhD '07, Professor, Southern CT State University
2019: Todd Dumais, BA '03, Town Planner, City of West Hartford
2018: Richard Annitto, BA '85, Vice President, GIS and Survey Division, LiRo Group
2017: Ben Spaulding, PhD '10, Catastrophe Risk Manager, Homesite Group
2016: Patrice Carson, BA '82, Consulting Director of Community Development, Town of Bolton
2015: Tyler Kleykamp, BA '00, Chief Data Officer, Connecticut State Office of Policy and Management